My previous attempts to key either rig using the DTR/RTS lines direct from N1MM [with appropriate cables] never worked for me. So, I went with the microHAM CW keyer to interface computer and radio via the microHAM Router port emulation software and supplied cables. Works flawlessly.

My K2 has the 100w addition with its DB9 jack. For FD, the club uses the N3FJP logging program. Using the CW Keyer, all connections are the same as the with K3/N1MM, and it too works flawlessly.

The CW Keyer came with a CAT cable [1/8" plug to DB9 connecter] appropriate for the K2 [built and in use before the K3]. The same cable works with the K3.

So, as Guy states and Don infers, using an interface device is probably preferable to a direct computer-radio setup. YMMV and OMD.

...robert