On Fri,7/8/2016 10:17 AM, Robert G Strickland wrote:
So, as Guy states and Don infers, using an interface device is probably preferable to a direct computer-radio setup. YMMV and OMD.

When I used a K2 for contesting, I made up a simple adapter that split out the DTR line from the computer to an NPN transistor that keyed the radio. Details begin on page 51 of this set of Power Point slides. The NPN inverter is shown on page 53. Following slides suggest how to get varying degrees of fancy.

http://k9yc.com/HamInterfacing.pdf

As has been noted, the K2 does NOT have a standard RS232 interface, and a standard DB9 cable wired for RS232 CANNOT be used directly. The K2 uses pins 2, 3, and 5 for serial interface. Other pins are used for other functions. When you build a K2 accessory that has a DB9 connector, clear instructions are provided for building a suitable cable to interface to a standard RS232 port.

One thing that was WRONG about K2 accessory kits was that Elecraft provided parallel wire cable for the interface. That cable SHOULD use twisted pairs, one pair for each signaling circuit between the K2 and the computer. Ordinary CAT5 cable is an excellent choice. This is shown on pages 53-55.

I successfully used this setup to control and key the radio both with WriteLog and N1MM.

73, Jim K9YC