I must say that I respectfully disagree '99% of the time the fault lies between
the chair and the radio'.
My comments are restricted to voice mode.  Alan's comments are related to
comparison with Icom DSP radios.  K3's audio in voice mode (no matter how you
set / adjust the RX EQ) is far inferior than Icom.
The reason behind is the artifacts from K3 DSP.  I am of the opinion that the
audio (not internal speaker) from KX3 is more comparable to Icom.
While I am not young and over 50, I can still hear up to 12KHz.  Perhaps, this
is the reason why I am very sensitive to DSP artifacts.
73
Johnny VR2XMC

      寄件人︰ Kevin <ksto...@ac0h.net>
 收件人︰ elecraft@mailman.qth.net
 傳送日期︰ 2016年09月16日 (週五) 7:57 PM
 主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] K3 audio quality

This has been a complaint for the last nine years and 99% of the time
the fault lies between the chair and the radio. Did anybody do a proper
audio setup on the rig when it arrived or did it just get tossed on the
desk and turned on? You need to go to W3FPR's website and take a look at
the audio settings Don worked up on the original K3.

The K3(s) is a highly configurable radio.

To be fair stick an outboard speaker on the K3 and tweek the audio
settings. Then again some people don't want to mess with radio settings.
The "appliance operators" expect perfect this and perfect that and don't
want to lift a finger to get it.