Virtualization is the way to go.

I've not used VirtualBox, but have friends who have great success.

Virtualization has some big advantages:

You can isolate different things you do to different virtual machines. Probably the best example of that is to keep your financials away from general browsing and E-Mail where you might encounter viruses or trojans.

You can always experiment with downloaded software in a VM and destroy the VM if you think the download did more than you expect.

When you replace a computer, all of the VMs are just a set of files that can be copied to your new computer.

73 -- Lynn