In fact, I find modern transceivers including K3 are very accommodating to
microphones. Professional broadcasting microphone is simply over killed for ham
purposes.  Sometimes, just a bit experiment, even with computer headset, you
will get good results.
I sold all my Heil gears such as PR781.  I am now using CM500 and a few low
cost mics.  I am not saying Heil is no good but too overkill for ham radio.
73
Johnny VR2XMC

      寄件人︰ Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com>
 收件人︰
副本(CC)︰ elecraft@mailman.qth.net
 傳送日期︰ 2016年10月14日 (週五) 11:24 AM
 主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] Microphone

On Thu,10/13/2016 1:18 PM, Michael Wong wrote:
> I’m still more of an audio professional than an accomplished ham, so I’ll ask
> while the thread is hot - why does ham gear use non-standard interconnects?
> Why don't Elecraft and others move to 3-pin XLR?
Two very good reasons -- panel real estate and the lack of NEED for pro
mics.  optimum SSB bandwidth for communications is 500 Hz - 3 kHz. All
that low end does is suck TX power with no intelligibility gain.

Virtually any ubalanced electret capsule or dynamic mic works very well
with ham gear and sounds great. There is no need for pro mics with ham
gear, and they cost a lot more than commonly used ham mics that sound
quite good. All you need to run the electret is bias, which is applied
to the mic output, about 8V through about 6K. Neither value is critical.
This is exactly what we do for the lav capsules that are used with
wireless mics.

> Honestly, the bottom of my mic cabinet is probably overkill for ham, but the
> fact I have to get (or make) a custom adapter for even my least expensive mic
> irks me.

I was in the same position 12 years ago when I got back on the air, and
made a simple adapter to use an RE16 because I didn't own a ham mic. I
continued to use it (on an AKG boom stand) until W6XU found and promoted
the CM500.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to vr2...@yahoo.com.hk