Mark,

Analyzing the switch matrix is an iterative process
The first thing to do is to determine which wrong responses are being sent, and for that you must refer to the schematic.  In your case of the REV button and the STP 60 display, the hold of the REV button is bringing up the PF1 display. Check the TAP function of the same button (AGC) to see if it brings up the RIT announciator (I think it will). If so, it means that the D1 and D2 lines are somehow being activated at the same time. Your first check would be to see if there is continuity between pins 12 and 13 of U2.  Also check for continuity to ground for both of those lines.  If you find U2 pins 12 and 13 shorted together, look for the reason - a solder splash making a bridge or a bit of wire lead stuck between the pins, look top and bottom of the board.
That is how the process goes - as I indicated, it is not 'nice'.

Hopefully those two buttons are the only ones involved.
At worst, it means removing the pushbuttons and replacing them with new.  If it comes to that, clip the leads on the switch side close to the switch body and remove the leads one at a time, then troubleshoot the board.

73,
Don W3FPR