Don, thank for the excellent guidance.  I'll begin the debug process.

By the way, I have eliminated spurious contact between the encoder board
and control board, as I debugged that some weeks ago:
https://www.mail-archive.com/elecraft@mailman.qth.net/msg219585.html.
There is now room between the boards such that the plastic packing material
you mention moves freely about without friction.  This spurious contact
possibility was one of the first things I checked today when the "c"
indicator would not light.

--
Mark