I have been following this discussion with some interest.  This morning I
set the idling fan speed to 1, and after sitting at the same desk with it
for a couple hours, I am really no longer conscious of the noise (I have
other things happening).

The non-operating temp has settled in at 28ºC.

And now, after 5 consecutive 15 second JS8 transmissions, and running at 275
watts, the temp has risen to 59ºC and no change in fan speed.  After the 6th
consecutive transmission, the temp rises to 62ºF and the fan goes to #2.

Temps after each 15 second interval are 37, 44, 50, 55, 59 and 62ºC
respectively.

With the fan at "Norm," the temp settles in at 31ºC.

Running the same test, temps after each 15 second interval are 39, 44, 49,
53 56 and 59ºC - so it never goes to #2.

The bottom line seems to be that there is nothing gained by setting the
minimum fan speed at #1.  In fact, you might make the case that running the
fan unnecessarily will just add more dust to the interior over time and thus
reduce the long-term cooling efficiency.

Of course, the ambient temp in your environment will skew these results.

73,
Lyn, WØLEN