Hi Wayne,

"The improved resolution ensures that the correct bin is detected when you get
within +/- 1 kHz of the target ATU LC data bin rather than +/- 8 kHz."

It has always been possible to provide the KAT500 and KPA1500 with TX frequency
to 1 kHz resolution using the serial interface.

KAT500:
F (Frequency, GET and SET)
GET format: F;
SET/RESPONSE format: F nnnnn; where nnnnn is the approximate frequency of the
last transmitted signal, in kHz.

KPA1500:
^FR Frequency
GET format: ^FR;
RESPONSE/SET format: ^FRfffff; where fffff is the most recent frequency in kHz.

However, both the KPA1500 and KAT500 tuners are designed to replace AUX or
Serial provided frequency with RF detected frequency.  This means that, even if
the bin is selected accurately with serial or AUX frequency, the tuning
solution is likely to change as soon as TX starts.   This will only be
prevented if RF detected frequency does not replace CAT or AUX provided
frequency.  This is a change I have been asking for almost as long as I have
owned my KAT500.  (Dick has my KAT500 defect/enhancement reports)

Hopefully this change to K4 design will accelerate some of the
fixes/improvements in both KAT500 and KPA1500 tuner firmware.

73,
Andy, k3wyc