The point on Moore's law is taken.

But the options aren't just limited to Elecraft doing more work on older
radios or no updates at all (or supporting the old radios to the detriment
of the new)

Many software development projects now are community based and although
radio firmware may be more time-consuming and more complex than OpenWRT for
example, community based development may have more umph than Elecraft might
have as far as inclination to tweak old radios.

Just a thought.