On the other hand, Elecraft can't afford to expend resources on new features for products no longer in production. Professional development costs money, and there's no revenue stream from free firmware for products that are not for sale. It might even have a negative effect by influencing users of older gear to keep it instead of upgrading.

We are lucky that Elecraft fixes bugs in firmware for older products, and provides support for module upgrades. Some companies don't.

There really isn't a simple solution, except to buy a K4 and make suggestions for new features while it is still the top of the line!

Or, as I seem to be doing, follow Shimon Ben Zoma, who said, "Who is rich? He who appreciates what he has," in my case an upgraded K3.

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
Formerly K2VCO