Rick

I think you need to look at the average age of today's ham (hopefully, it
is going down).

Ham radio is what you make it.  Your version is just fine for you.   How
you actually get on the air is not a law.  It isn't a requirement.  All you
have to do is work within the legal requirements for your country.

What would you do when you have to move into assisted living?  Where the
house is not your own.  Will that take you off the air?

Make contacts any way you can.  For you, get on the air and make contacts.

BTW, you can't force your vision on anyone.  You can preach it, but that
doesn't mean anyone has to listen to it.  :)   Everyone is wired just a bit
differently (some like me, a  lot different).

73, Mike va3mw