Hi Mike,

It's always nice to work you on the air.

I'm a VEC and over the last year have participated in several tests which resulted in over 100 new hams (not bad for a county of only 18,000).  Most were over 50, some 30-40's and a handful are juveniles (under 18).  At the last test, a woman in her 80's tested (failed, but it didn't break her spirit, she'll try again; GREAT attitude).  This is an older county, most of the younger crowd leaves to find a career, attend college or be in the military (no career prospects here, but farming, logging, milling and working at a local store).  So the ham representation here tends to be 40-ish and higher for new hams.  The younger crowd is more interested in starting their lives and making a living; very challenging here.

Since the class only has time to teach to the test (no real learning involved, just answers) the local club meetings have short sessions about "I'm licensed, now what do I do?'  Without such information, these neophytes will never progress and the hobby, along with their interest, dies.  It's good old fashioned Elmer'ing and we help each other build stations.

Most noobs tend to get the cheaper $35 imported radios, until they learn just how filthy those are on the air (learning creates change which allows progress).  They are taught how to use it, program it, what to (not) discuss on the air, manners, protocols and in general HOW to be a ham.  They are exposed to many facets of ham radio from contesting and DX (which tends to be connected); satellite, HF, EME, repeater operations, including the local RF linked network (and more) AND how to apply theory (this month discusses "What is antenna gain and when/where do I want it?").

In ALL discussions, a radio is involved; even for those able to start building an HF station (just like when I started 40 something years ago) or put up a 2m ground plane.  They are taught to NOT turn all knobs to 11; to read the manuals, adjust carefully (and why) and generally how to properly produce the cleanest signals they can (some radios make that a challenge).  Progress is slow, which is fine as long as it's forward.

Surfing the internet to use a receiver (other than scanning fire calls) is never discussed; it has little to do with running a ham station.  The only discussion about the internet is when logging, spotting and filing entries is covered.  (I'm not SO old school that SOME new tools are taboo.)

Ham radio is better without gaming the system to seek an advantage and remote stations for rent, do exactly that.  It creates an unfair advantage and only requires a fat wallet, not the knowledge and experience gained by making your own station and learning how to maximize it's ability.  Put another way, rental buys the plaques, awards and acclaim with a wallet, not with ability.  Such items are valueless because they weren't earned by effort, but money.

I've driven VERY fast sports cars (and proven that they are both quick and fast, while being scary responsive), but it doesn't make me a race driver.  Renting a world class station, even if I bring my own radio; doesn't make me a world class contester/DXer, just someone with 'disposable income'.  To me, the only real fun would be to have different propagation than what I have at home.

If I build the race car (or radio station) by hand, know intimately EVERY part and it's place, then learn how to best use it; then I can call myself improved and eventually qualified to operate it.  Winning the race (contest) or not simply allows me to rate my progress over time (my competition is me against me, EVERY time, just like golf).  In a small group, we 'motivate' each other to improve the stations and number of DX worked and condole with each other when there is a failure or poor showing.

You're right, remote operation of another persons efforts is legal but that isn't the point.  Being able to do something doesn't make it morally right.  With remote rental, you're taking credit for another persons efforts.  You didn't EARN that plaque/award/score if you didn't help put it all together; you bought it.

I'm not forcing anything on anyone, everybody has a moral code and choices to be made.  I've made it clear that mine is that I'll only count (log) from a station that I built/assembled and not any other station.  I may use other stations, but they won't be in MY log book.

IF that day comes that I can't manage the station anymore; I'll move to an HT and keep in touch with my neighbors and make new friends.  If I degrade below being able to manage even that, I probably wouldn't know the difference anymore (it won't matter).

It is ham radio, not Xbox; it uses RADIO, not a game panel.  The internet is a tool; it's not ham radio without a radio.

See you on HF!

73,
Rick NK7I