Maybe some people do this, but I have never had it happen to me, and I buy/sell on QTH, and QRZ. I suspect people looking for a good excuse to not offer returns, no matter what.

Personally, I won't purchase from a person claiming parts swappers are a problem. Why? It gives them an excuse to sell me a radio I can't return for any reason-- even if it does not work out of the shipping box.

I am sure someone someplace got burned by this, but it looks like an excuse to me. Hence why I don't trade with people that claim that.