Burdick has too much on his mind to bother with dates, but actually it was late 2007 ...

From my logbook of that year:

Sun, Oct. 14:   Email from Elecraft saying they would be shipping this week
Thu, Oct. 18:   Email from Elecraft saying they would be shipping today
Fri, Oct. 19:   Serial Number 21 delivered by UPS at 9 a.m. CDT
Sat, Oct. 20:  Assembly of kit began at 10:15 a.m. and was completed on Sunday at 10:30 a.m. with time-outs for meals, sleep, participation in an emergency pandemic communications exercise, and continuous annotations and corrections to the assembly manual as I encountered them and as NØSS recorded them at the request of Elecraft.

Assembly went smoothly, filter calibration (manually) went well, and first contact was made at 5:02 p.m. that afternoon on the ECN (Elecraft 20 meter Net).  Rare DX it was ... across town to NØSS who was NCS.

Fully updated, S.N. 21 has worked every Field Day since, demonstrated ham radio at numerous Boy Scout affairs, handled a bunch of special events, an ARRL 100th anniversary, a Missouri bicentennial, and 15 Halloweens from Frankenstein.

73,
Kent
K9ZTV