There was an attempt to fit voltage dependent resistors (vdr) across the
"receiver" (earphone) of telephone headsets to limit audio shock.  These were
American headsets of an old but very common type (STC perhaps?).  When I did a
brief test, I increased the voltage applied and found that the waveform across
the earpiece gradually became more square.  It limited the amplitude of the
waveform but the power in the earpiece still increased as it went square.  It
was probably less of a volume than when the earpiece was unprotected, but it
was still very loud.  Probably a similar effect to back to back diodes (this is
best done with a resistor in series to smooth the response.

David
G3UNA