Bill wrote to John:

>I'm not sure what you are implying. I took my tests in 1980 under a
>steely-eyed FCC examiner, and they were multiple-choice back then.

The FCC ham technical exams were multiple choice when I took my first one in
1968, and they had been at least as far back as the early 1950s when my Dad
took his.

The only FCC technical exams that were not ALL multiple choice was/is the one
for First and Second Class Commercial Radiotelegraph License (both classes use
the same technical exam), and even those exams are still 90 percent multiple
choice (or at least they were nearly 30 years ago when I took the exam).

The reference in the original post may be to the fact that for several years
after the FCC dropped the "one minute perfect copy out of five minutes sent"
standard, they used multiple choice exams for the *Morse* test after the
sending was over.  That didn't last long.

Mike / KK5F