Mike Morrow wrote:

The FCC ham technical exams were multiple choice when I took my first
one in 1968, and they had been at least as far back as the early
1950s when my Dad took his.

The only FCC technical exams that were not ALL multiple choice was/is
the one for First and Second Class Commercial Radiotelegraph License
(both classes use the same technical exam), and even those exams are
still 90 percent multiple choice (or at least they were nearly 30
years ago when I took the exam).

I am absolutely certain that when I took my Extra and my 1st Phone in 1960, I had to draw schematics for both. I also remember doing a lot of slide-rule calculations, but I can't remember if the questions were m/c or fill-in-the-blank.

I *think* (but am not sure) that the General Class test that I took in '57 also had at least one schematic.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco