I don't remember the format of the written, but MC doesn't sound wrong. I
know the code test was fill-in-the-blank, which I found quite odd. I do
remember one question, tho.

His occupation was _____________________.

My copy had ??????mber?????.

I was torn between plumber and lumber salesman. Occam saved the day!

Dan / WG4S  (ca. 1981 or 2) / K2 #2456

<snip>
The reference in the original post may be to the fact that for several years
after the FCC dropped the "one minute perfect copy out of five minutes sent"
standard, they used multiple choice exams for the *Morse* test after the
sending was over.  That didn't last long.
</snip>