On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 03:20 +0000, Ken Kopp wrote:
> And they wouldn't accept my 20 WPM Radiotelegraph ticket
> for my 20 WPM extra!  But by then it was a snap.

I had to get a new 2nd Telegraph a few years back and the FCC gave me
20 WPM credit -- not for having had a prior 2nd Telegraph but for
having had an Amateur Extra since before 1980-something!

The guys giving the exam (not even the FCC anymore) breathed a sigh of
relief because they had no idea how to give me a telegraph exam.  It was
hilarious..

BTW, the written portion of the 2nd Telegraph exam is the same as the
first time I took it back in the 80's.

Also, I took my Novice in '65, General in '66 and Extra in '68.  I don't
remember any essay questions on any of them but it *was* a long time
ago.  I do remember that the Extra was tougher than the 1st Phone.  And
the 2nd Telegraph tougher than the Extra.

And, as long as I'm rambling, I hear a lot of new~ish sounding call
signs sputtering along in the upper regions of the CW bands.  I think
they're guys with new HF privileges who are getting their feet wet on
CW.  I'm pretty happy about that..

73,
-Doug, W7KF