Tom AK2B wrote:

It seems strange that some hams would find this sort of technology
objectionable. After all, aren’t we all about technology? Why would
we hang around this forum if we weren't looking for a leg up?

It's really very simple -- a matter of the normal distribution of the variations of human personality.

A substantial proportion of people are naturally conservative. They don't react well to things being changed. They will make up a lot of very convincing arguments why this or that change is unwise and shouldn't be allowed, but at the end of the day, it's just very hard for them emotionally to accept things becoming different than what they're used to.

Another substantial proportion of people are naturally progressive. They don't react well to things being left alone to mature and take root. They will make up a lot of very convincing arguments why this or that isn't good enough and has to be changed, but at the end of the day, it's just very hard for them emotionally to settle down and leave well enough alone.

These two forces are in a never-ending circular dance of engagement, even struggle. This is basically the thesis-antithesis-synthesis process of Hegelian dialectic, if you remember your Philosophy 101. If either side, thesis or antithesis, becomes all-powerful, the dialectic process is subverted and things tend to go wrong eventually.

This is because Nature does have a slight built-in bias in favor of change. It's called adaptation. An individual, a species, even life collectively either adapts or eventually becomes extinct. Nothing stays the same forever. Stasis is not an option in this universe.

This small bit of potentially relevant philosophy is brought to you as a brief respite from the ravages of taking some things in our wonderful hobby way too seriously. :-)

Bill W5WVO