Bill W5WVO wrote:

> Tom AK2B wrote:
>
> It's really very simple -- a matter of the normal distribution of the
> variations of human personality.
>
> A substantial proportion of people are naturally conservative. They don't
> react well to things being changed.
>
> [snip]
>
> Another substantial proportion of people are naturally progressive. They
> don't
> react well to things being left alone to mature and take root. They will
> make
> up a lot of very convincing arguments why this or that isn't good enough
> and
> has to be changed

This would be a very good argument, Tom, applied to any normal endeavour. If
I earned my living by working DX then of course I would want to use every
tool going that would help me do it more effectively.

But ham radio is a hobby. There isn't a lot of point to it in practical,
surviving the real world terms. DXing is supposed to be hard. If you use
technologies unrelated to radio to make it easier then it becomes an almost
worthless activity.

Basket weaving is another hobby. If you bought a machine to weave the
baskets, would that make it a better hobby?

-----
Julian, G4ILO  K3 s/n: 222 K2 s/n: 392
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com
Zerobeat Ham Forums: www.zerobeat.net/smf