Using a VGA cable probably won't bring all of the signals out to the
end of the pigtail since the VGA standard doesn't use off of them.
There are commerical cables using the DB-15 high density connector
that bring out all pins, or you can build your own.

It's more fun to build your own.  Digikey and Mouser both have the
15-pin male connectors, and they'll also have good quality control
cables.

73,
matt W6NIA
K3 #24