Having the Slope set to 000 is like not having the AGC on at all.

If you're going to have a theshold, then why bother to keep the AGC from
actually doing anything?  At least put that Slope to 04 or something where it
actually makes a difference.  If your concern is having loud signals be louder
than the low signals underneath it, and you want to compress the lower signals
to sound as loud as the loud ones (or Vs Versa, have the loud ones squashed to
the same level as the low signals), you have to actually set the slope
compression to do something, not turn it off by setting it to 00.  I agree with
Guy completely.

Also, there's a setting in the menu that will allow you to have a "soft" Agc
which was designed JUST for this Contest/Pile up situation your describing.  If
you don't know what or where it is, please let us know and I will dig it up for
you.

As for the AGC off level limiter, and creating distortion... Yea, I've noticed
that with the loud ones too.  I belive that Wayne did something with that
setting in the last 2 beta software releases... I don't know if you have access
to it yet.