Good Afternoon, Kristofer

It appears I attributed greater subtlety to Mr. Nesbit's comment than it warranted. The primacy of collective responsibility over individual rights in modern society is so compelling such a simplistic interpretation did not occur to me.

One need look no further than the nearest stop-light to see that unrestrained liberty is neither attainable nor desirable in a populous society. If two automobiles approach an intersection from different directions at the same time, one or the other must yield.

That is not a paradox, it's maturity.

One may have an academic interest in where individual liberties end and public responsibilities begin, but, when discussing government, one can only create a paradox by attributing more rights to individuals than obligations to the society that nurtures them ... and that is self-destructive.

The assertion that "voting is the exact opposite of individual rights" is only valid in terms of one's democratic right to participate in government. An electoral process that only allows individuals to 'vote' for people selected or proposals formulated by oligarchical establishments is the exact opposite of our natural right to govern ourselves.

re: "I think party neutral PR methods are better than list PR,
     and open list is better than closed list (the latter being
     what we have over here). If any person can say 'here's the
     list of signatures, put me on the ballot', that's much
     better than if you have to have a party (which can be
     corrupted); and if voters can decide what order to rank the
     candidates of a party in list PR, that's better than being
     forced to rely on party elites doing that ordering 'for
     them'."

    "Those who argue in favor of closed PR here usually employ a
     statesman-type argument: they say that the party elites are
     more suited to choosing the ranking of the candidates
     because they're not prone to populism. But if populism is a
     problem, deal with populism directly through making the
     system more stable. Be consistent and thorough."

What you say about open and closed list methods seems eminently rational to me, even though I don't feel competent to comment on those methods. I should probably study them more carefully, for they are in the realm of the 'here and now' rather than the 'perhaps sometime' area I normally haunt.

I am inhibited from doing so by the general lack of recognition of the anti-human aspects of governments based on partisanship. So few people understand the political mechanism which, over the past 150 years, nurtured the economic behemoths that dominate our existence and pollute the world in which we live that I feel I must do what I can to call attention to the central problem ... the people we elect to represent our interests. Until we select better people, we can not improve our society.

re: "This also suggests that a sufficiently sophisticated
     attacker could bribe some members to diminish the triad's
     influence, so that others more favorable to his cause would
     prevail. Consider this (contrived) situation:

           7              8
          YYN            YNN

       YYN YYN YNN   YYN YNN YNN
        1   2   3     4   5   6

     An external participant may bribe council 5 to vote Y, or
     simply be indecisive if he estimates the random decision
     would fill the triad with an Y-majority, resulting in an Y-
     majority at 8. This may not be a viable attack; I'm mostly
     just charting what kind of indirect corruption may be done.
     In any event, it would probably be best applied at the
     higher levels, since then there's enough time for the
     external groups to perform the actual bribery."

That is very descriptive. In terms of bribery, given the huge number of councils (about 3,000 in an electorate of 9,000 in the Sefton example) at the lower levels, it would be (as you point out) best applied at the higher levels. As we agree, the self-interest of the participants will make the attempts difficult.

However, the description is important for another reason; it shows the role of the media in the process. It is the media that is the external participant. The media influences public opinion at a visceral level, and it is reaction to this influence that will cause a council member at 5 to switch positions. When called upon to examine issues carefully and in detail, thoughtful people will see beyond the shallowness of media reports and commentary. It is here that intellect assumes ascendancy over passion.

re: "It's also possible for the conspirators to corrupt a low
     level triad just to deny someone who would otherwise become
     an obvious choice at the higher levels ..."

I suspect this will happen, even without conspiracy. At the lowest levels, pettiness and emotion-based biases are certain to cause the improper exclusion of otherwise qualified individuals. I can't put a pretty face on that fact. I can only point out that frequent elections will offer opportunities for the victims of such nonsense and random assignments to triads will prevent recurrence. I also believe the bigoted people who create such circumstances will be excluded in the early rounds.

re: "... corrupting the triad process while the selection is
     going on would be very hard. I tried to determine which
     cases could happen, even if those are unlikely, as the
     information can only help. The randomization makes planned
     corruption difficult, and the bubbling up of good candidates
     makes impromptu corruption difficult as well."

I'm only reposting this assertion because some folks seem to fear the method could be suborned. For them, your comment bears repeating.

Fred