Sorry for the previous post -- having problems with my mouse.
Recompiling drivers now...

Anyway, if it were me I would replace at least one of the limit
switches with something which has a fine adjustment so that I can get it
reasonably close.

That said, crossing B(Index + N_Steps_Adj=???) = A(Index +
N_Steps_Adj=0) would give you the offset between them. So, you could
move both axes until you hit both Index marks and figure out the offset
as part of the setup and calibration.  If the Index is on a rotor
encoder (ie gives you an index tick every XXX steps), then moving until
you hit the first of the limits and use the above to check they are
still in adjustment.  In that case A_N_Steps_Adj is no longer 0.  Also,
if you use either limit, then the other will function as a backup in the
case that you have a failure.  Also if (A_adj - B_adj) is off my more
than some amount you can trigger a warning to force a fisical
calibration.

Anyway, that is my 2c