This is an excellent question, and I am sure there is plenty of people
who will support this in various ways.  Now on to some technical issues,
tools, and solutions.

A fair bit of work has already been done on 'internationalization'
(please see documentation and
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Internationalization for
specifics and examples).  That said, I am sure that some of the UI's are
missing any internationalization support.  One of the problems in the
past is that the UI's were written in any one of a number of different
tool chains -- including tcltk, gl, Qt, python binding, and I am not
sure what all.  From the linuxcnc/src/po/README file I see that they
give some specific examples, and how to.  There is current support for
14 different languages and 3 extra regional dialects or additional
languages.  What I do not know is if the current tools and
implementation can switch languages on the fly (ie by a pull down menu,
and refresh in the new language).  It is possible that that
functionality already exists, but oneone has updated it, or (which is
more likely) that the necessary low level functionality does not exist
in the tools used.  I know that I tried to do exactly what you are
suggesting back in 2001 using Qt -- they were just coming out with that
support in their professional tools, but not in their free version, and
I was developing open-source tools for ecologists at the university (ie
not paid, and could not afford to pony up the $5K IIRC)...  So to help
drill down into the question and how current implementations do not
support your needs please read take a look at the URL above, play with
them a bit, and tell us where it is not working and what you would want
to change.  Once we have that information we can have a discussion about
if the request is something that anyone wants to take on and/or support.

One thing that would help us is if you tell us which UI you would like
to start with, and if you are looking to try to set it up on the fly or
just support the additional languages.

I like your idea of setting up a UI which is purely graphical.  There
is places where that will breakdown, but it could go a long way.  For
that look at the current UI's, like Axis, and tell use what you would
change and why.

Hope this helps,

   EBo --