On Monday 12 October 2020 16:02:50 andy pugh wrote:

> I feel that this is the sort of question that I would expect to be
> answering, not asking, but...
>
> Under what sort of circumstances would you have different axis and
> joint limits? The INI config docs don't really say, and in fact use
> "axis" in the "joints" section to add to the confusion.
>
> I am trying to set my mll up with a manual B axis. I want to be able
> to tilt the head manually, then set the angle in the GUI (by jogging
> or MDI) and have the XZ plane rotate.

I've never done it by that description, but I've never had limits coming
into play in an axis that has no rev limits. But this description seems
to entail both A and B rotations, so even if one of these axises is
manually tilted, it seems to me you need to set the B axis with at least
a parameter imported from the .ini or by a pyvcp spin dial so that
linuxcnc knows this tilt angle. Then, if using the correct kins, you'd
at least have a troubleshootable test setup.

> This sort-of works, but I keep getting soft limit errors when the
> machine is nowhere near the physical joint limits.
>
> I am wondering what drawback there might be with simply expanding the
> axis limits.

That, to me would be spooky math, particularly no better than I am at the
various transcendental's.

One of the things I expect to battle with is exactly this in configureing
a BS-1 clone for use on the G0704, primarily because with a chuck
mounted, tilting that head will at some tilt angles, be put the cutting
tool higher than the head can reach. I should have bought a BS-0, and
might have to yet.  But compared to a BS-1, a BS-0 is a toy.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis