Subject: Re[4]: Shiep rules
Author:  Non-HP-owner-emc-pstc (owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org) at
hp-boise,uugw2
Date:    01/07/97 01:26 PM

Chris,

  >> Here my natural cynicism comes out...

In this business we all get cynical.

  >> The reduction in Electronic Fog in our universe is a secondary effect

Here we disagree.  CISPR-12 was based on actual interference tests using real
people as subjects. The standard, which was essentially adopted as EN 55022,
is based on technically relevant factors, not politically relevant ones.

  >> authorities would get far more excited if goods with CE marks were
  >> stopped at a border, than if the goods made too much EMI.

It depends whose authorities.  For example, if the computing equipment
concerned were to interfere with police radio, I imagine there would be a
sufficiency of excited authorities, even _with_ the CE mark.

  >> There's a few centimes/Deutchmarks worth...

Euro's. (Or is that Euro's d'Or?)

Cortland

As usual, the above does not reflect opinions or policies of my employer.