Dear Hans,

hans_mellb...@non-hp-santaclara-om4.om.hp.com wrote:
> The proper authority in Belgium is not the Postal ..... etc., but
> rather the Comite Electrotechnique Belge (+32-2-556 0110)
> They will tell you how to own test equipment legally. They are the
> official Belgian representative of the CENELEC committee which governs
> the EMC aspects of Belgium, not the Post office.

Hans the BIPT is the Belgium Institute for post and "TELECOM". Its the
 Telecommunication part (FCC) of the BIPT I mentioned in my previous mail.

Now, you mention CENELEC. This is the organization who conceives the
 specific European EMC CEE rules (is located in Belgium), this are some
 of the good fellows who are on candid camera.

When I mention additional and local constrains, I'm talking about the
 BIPT (or IBPT in Flemish), when I'm talking about EMC rules I'm thinking
 to "ALL" regulation and rules making people, including CENELEC for the
 CE rules.

The problem arises with the BIPT when I try to use low cost "scanners" for
 approximate pre-compliance testing. It's a communication receiver device
 according to they're opinion and may not be used.
General coverage receivers are prohibited in Belgium (outdated law!).
At a sudden they realize spectrum analyzers and EMC test receivers also
 are able to receive outbound frequencies. They require at a sudden now
 a license for those equipment to!
He guy's of HP, Rhode & Zwarts, Tektronics, etc.. you mentioned me
 that there is no problem for test equipment and that there is no license
 required for measuring devices, you better check with the smart BIPT
 people like Mr. Van Heesveld General Administrator (the big boss) of
 the BIPT.  He has a different opinion.

To the hell with this people.
I wrote to the Minister of TELECOM. and he replayed:
 the problem is complex, he scheduled a meeting for me with the BIPT.

Useless meeting.
 Facing people who think they are superior by having institutional
 monopolistic rights, they just don't listen, they impose their rules
 based on outdated laws still in force and interpreted "they're" way
 (see previous mail subject: license withdraw in and for a TELECOM store).
They even don't make (or want) a report of the meeting, that's how
 serious they take it....

Now to come back on the EMC subject, the same parallel problems exist with
CENELEC.
 They don't have to justify they're action, they impose CE rules with
 different requirements than other countries.
 WHY?
 What justify this?
 How to get rid of this superior behaving people and have them use
 existing rules?

Dear Hans, is the above now more explanatory (subject CENELEC and BIPT)?

If nobody complains, if nobody take the attention to this situation,
 if nobody put pressure on those guy's, nothing will change and the
 industry will remain the junk of those guy's with one common sense:
 PAY the cost.
You like to undergo unjustified specific rules conceived by people
 protecting their job on my expenses (maybe yours?).

Some people say: just put the CE sticker on it!
No, I wont, if I have to do that its because there is something wrong,
 someware.

So I'm looking for cheap pre-compliance measuring equipment. Not the
 conventional ones who are overpriced (even second hand).
To start:
Did anybody use a scanner (+/- $US 700) as mesuring receiver?
 It's computer controllable, has a wide frequency range, is sensitive.
Did anybody design an antenna for 30 - 200 or/and 200 - 1000 MHz range?
Did anybody made a LISN?
Did anybody..
Any idea?

--