Vitaly,

Allow me to try and clear some confusion over NRTLs and marks.
NRTL is not a mark.  An NRTL is an OSHA Nationally Recognized
Testing Laboratory accredited to evaluate products to specific
standards for the U.S.

Each NRTL can authorize the use of its own mark for use on U.S.
products, e.g. UL, CSA, MET, ITS, TUVR, and SGS.  At one time,
some chose to add the subscript "NRTL" beside their mark.  Now
it is more common to use a subscript "US" indicating testing to
U.S. standards.

The term NRTL has no meaning for Canadian compliance.  Canada
uses the term "Certification Organizations" (COs) for those
test houses accredited by the Standards Council of Canada (SCC)
for test houses that can assess products to Canadian standards.

Examples:

UL can authorize use of the UL (U.S.) and c-UL (Canada) marks
by virtue of their SCC accredited CO status.

CSA can authorize use of the CSA (Canada) and CSA/US (U.S.)
marks by virtue of their OSHA NRTL status.

There is no literal "NRTL" or "c-NRTL" mark issued by CSA or
any other agency.  The agency marks of all NRTLs could be called
NRTL marks when used for U.S. products, but none must use "NRTL"
as part of the mark.

I hope this does not further confuse the issue!

George Alspaugh

---------------------- Forwarded by George Alspaugh/Lex/Lexmark on 11/23/99

vgorodetsky%canoga....@interlock.lexmark.com on 11/23/99 12:44:02 PM