Richard wrote ...

>> Do any of you perform ESD testing at or above 15 kV to improve
>> product robustness?

Yes. ISO TR 10605/SAE J1113. 25kV air discharge, 8kV contact

>>      What type of user environment

Automotive

>>      What types of products
>>      What is the rational for testing above 15 kV

Points accessible from *outside* the vehicle e.g. steering wheels.

>>      What test equipment is used above 15 kV

Schaffner NSG432, EM TEST ESD-30C

>>      What test procedure is used above 15kV

I've only tested upto 25kV. Same as for 15kV.  Air discharges
to body of product, to plane in vicinity of product and to wiring
loom.

>>      What is the pass/fail criteria above 15 kV

We use the same as for 15kV. We aim for ISO Class A (no malfunction)
for devices accessible during operation. We opt for Class A @ 15kV,
Class B @ >15kV for devices not normally accessible in operation but
could become accessible during maintenance.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

- Chris Chileshe
- Ultronics Ltd