I have used Miteq or Mini-Circuits preamps with a custom box (Al project
box) and a 15Vdc regulator.  These had around 20dB of gain which was
sufficient at 3 or 1 meter for most frequencies between 1 - 18 GHz.  The
exact model that we used has been discontinued though and I am unsure if
a replacement has been designed.  I believe the cost for these preamps
was between $1k - $3k, so they were pretty cheap if you are handy enough
to build your own box to protect/power it.

Regards,
Dave Heald