Thank you all for your comments and advice, it is appreciated.

For your interest, the product had gone through approval and though there
were some ESD induced abnormalities these were considered a low risk. It was
the reports from two independent customers regarding a particular failure
mode that led to this investigation. To achieve this particular failure mode
we had to reduce the level to -800V ; I should point out that at higher
levels, other failures were infrequent.

What is probably more 'interesting' is that both customer's method of use
was different, though valid, to the way we had perceived.

As an aside, when working on compliance problems I am often reminded of the
following:

"When looking for the light at the end of the tunnel, make sure you are not
in a cave"

Thanks again,

Vic Gibling
Compliance Engineer (in the making)