Vic,

I agree, your product is probably seeing field failures because of the dry
conditions.  These dry conditions make the probability of an ESD event higher.
This is due to the fact that, as personnel walk across carpets or rub their
clothing on chairs, there is no humidity in the air to help bleed and equalize
charge.  So, they have a higher probability of charging up and a higher
probability of discharging to your equipment.   (You probably already know
this.)

Of course, your problems may not be due to people discharging to your
equipment.  It could be due to some other source of ESD.  It could be a
discharge from a nearby object.  However, the same argument holds.  The dry
atmosphere increases the probability.  (Hence the static cling present in
clothes that come out of a dryer.)

So, in both cases, you are probably seeing more failures in a dry atmosphere
because the probability of an ESD event is higher.   Higher failure rates in
dry atmospheres are due to this probability increase.  The higher failure rate
is probably not due to a dry atmosphere ESD event being different from a humid
atmosphere ESD event.

For testing, you are already generating the ESD event with a simulator.  The
ESD generator takes probability out of the equation.  You can generate a
discharge whenever you want.  So, in my humble opinion you don't need to
simulate the dry conditions.  I would simply follow IEC 1000-4-2, which
recommends test conditions with a humidity level between 30% and 60%.   With
this combination of ESD generator and humidity, you should get a discharge
whenever you want; and it should couple to the victim in proper fashion.

I agree that you will see different performance at different levels.   I have
seen failures at 4KV air discharge that are not repeatable with 8KV air
discharge.   So it is worth the time to test at lower levels until you get up
to the compliance level that you are shooting for.

Chris Maxwell | Design Engineer - Optical Division
email chris.maxw...@nettest.com | dir +1 315 266 5128 | fax +1 315 797 8024

NetTest | 6 Rhoads Drive, Utica, NY 13502 | USA
web www.nettest.com | tel +1 315 797 4449 |