Hi Kris:

>   A product from manufacturer X is delivered with a (direct plug-in) power
>   supply from mftr Y to customers in Canada.
>   Regarding the power supply, it is UL approved + UL listed and has the UL
>   marking with C and US.
>   The warning marking on the power supply is only in english.
>   Question:
>   Is it required that the marking is also in french (en francais) when the
>   product is sold in Canada?
>   If YES,  is there any reason why the marking is not in both languages if
>   there is an approval for US+Canada?

Your question generates a number of questions:

1)  Is the warning marking required by the
    applicable standard, or did the manufacturer
    voluntarily apply the warning?

    (We, too, use UL/cUL direct-plug-in power
    supplies.  To my recollection, there are no
    warnings on our power supplies.  So, I
    question whether or not the warning is
    required by the standard.)

2)  Is the warning marking required by the US
    standard?  If yes, then the warning is for
    the US and not for Canada.

3)  Is the warning marking required by the
    Canadian standard?  If yes, then does the
    standard require the warning marking to be
    in French?

In my experience with UL, UL requires compliance
to the standard.

If the standard does not require a specific
language, then UL does not require a specific
language.

If language is a requirement of a national law
(and not a standard), then compliance to that
law applies to the manufacturer, not to UL.

UL does not require compliance to national laws
of countries other than the USA.  However, when
UL is aware of a law that might specify
requirements in addition to those in the
standard, UL will call this to the attention of
the manufacturer, usually by letter.

This is a very common UL practice, especially
when UL issues a CB Report.  The cover letter
to the CB Report will often mention that the
language of the instruction manual, for example,
was not evaluated.  The cover letter will state
something to the effect that certain countries
may require the language of the manual to be the
local langauge.  (To my knowledge, IEC standards
do not specify language except in the very
broadest terms, e.g., the language of a warning
must be in a language acceptable to country
authorities.)

Best regards,
Rich