Unfortunately, this method doesn't work in general. Take, for example, a source
and load, both mismatched to (say) a 50 ohm system. One could measure the output
power of the source delivered to a 50 ohm load (power meter). One could then
drive the load with a 50 ohm source (signal generator, with output power equal
to that measured in the previous step) and measure the load response. Then the
source and load could be connected together. The response at the load could
indicate lower, higher, or exactly the same power as measured with the 50 ohm
power meter, depending on the relative phase of the mismatch between the source
and load, and the electrical length of the transmission line between them.

In the case where the response was the same, a zero electrical length 10 dB
attenuator could be inserted, and the response at the load would be exactly 10
dB lower, even though both the source and the load are mismatched.

The mismatch error is bounded by 20log(1 ± |rho1*rho2|). Doing the experiment
can only set a lower bound on |rho1*rho2|, where rho1 is the reflection
coefficient of the source, and rho2 is the reflection coefficient of the load (0
<= |rho| <= 1, any phase angle). And only the magnitude of the product of the
two rho values is know, not the individual rho values.

Don Borowski
Schweitzer Engineering Labs
Pullman, WA

Ken Javor <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com> on 09/26/2002 06:56:44 AM