Gary,

I can go along with the documentation hunt as well.
And I can understand that their approval cycle would
probably increase by a factor of x10 (I'm not joking)
if they had to do all the research to the parts themselves.
I believe that's really what's at the bottom of it all.

But, it's having to put up with vendors who would burn
your ear off complaining that the NRTL is one with the
approval and the records and that's what they're paying
all this money to do, etc ... I've gotten to point where I'm
beginning to sympathize greatly with these vendors.  And,
I am also very aware (from an unfortunate experience)
that the website is not that reliable as in being updated
as it should on a regular basis. There's lots of reasons
for that.  Some most definitely with the vendor.

Not to detract from their or anyone else's quality of work,
but I do know that as of only a couple of years ago, it
was the engineers who wrote up the reports.  Now, all
that gets handed over to a secretary pool and that
mistakes have increased as a result.  I'm assuming that
may also factor in to the rather strict "show me" state
of mind over there.  Something I don't think they should
slack off on.  After some of the things I've seen, I'm
rather glad everyone gets the same scrutiny and I've
gotten quite an education being involved with it.

It may be a pain in the butt sometimes and there are
certainly times where issues appear from left field, but
I really do have a lot of respect for the engineers who
have more than 3 years experience working 15 to 20
(or so) product approvals per month. All different kinds
of products.  The reviewers seem to be very well
qualified. All very approachable and all very procedural.
Which I guess it really should be.

I do know that they requiring you to get the paperwork
instead of them at time of submittal hits several birds with
one stone - educating the submitter what's needed, verification
FROM the vendor, verification OF the vendor, etc ....

I've had the experience of handing over a copy of a live
approval from the vendor but something on it was not right.
For some reason, it didn't effect my product approval, but
the engineer contacted the field office about it.  And I was
not privy as to why. they certainly do keep a very professional
atmosphere as well. At least the people I've worked with
directly.

Yes, there are times where we throw a wrench and complain,
but in the end, I can understand most of what they require.

- Doug McKean