I read in !emc-pstc that Crabb, John <jo...@exchange.scotland.ncr.com>
wrote (in <B6CD5947CF30D411A1350050DA4B75FF0B2C9487@sgbdun200.scotland.n
cr.com>) about 'Wire spool labeling requirements', on Thu, 14 Mar 2002:

>Surely the requirement is as found in the "Guideinfo" for
>CCN (AVLV2) Appliance Wiring Material, namely ;
>The Recognition Mark of Underwriters Laboratories, Inc.
>(illustrated below) on the attached tag, the reel or the
>smallest unit container in which the product is packaged
>is the only method provided by UL to identify these
>products manufactured under its Recognition and Follow-Up Service.

That just states the position; it doesn't justify it. If defective wire
with approval marking exists, there is no way of telling whether a wire
you see in a product came from an approved reel with a label on it. So
the label is not achieving anything, AFAIK. And neither is the approval
marking on the wire!

I once heard an interminable story about a guy who had rats in his grain
store. to get rid of them, he put a padlock on the door, but they ate
the leather hinges, so he put steel ones on. Still they got in. He
carried on putting more and more stuff on and around the door, to no
good effect.

One day, he saw a rat come out of the window....

If there were NO approval marking on the wire, there would be no black
market for 'approved wire'. All wire would have to pass sampling or
automatic inspection before being put on the product assembly line.

Food for thought, may be.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!