I don't think asking the age on an employment application is prohibited;
however, it invites suspicion and leaves a paper trail that may haunt you.
Defining a college graduation date is odd, and appears to be a silly way to
gauge the applicant's age. (Really, was EE course content so much different in
1985 versus 1987?) If we assume a reasonable progression of educational
experience, a typical engineer would graduate at age 22 in 1986; thus, there
appears to be an age cutoff of 39.

Here's a free legal opinion, for California (and if you don't like it, sue
this lawyer):

People under forty years old are not protected by age discrimination in the
workplace laws. If an employer refuses to hire somebody because he or she is
thirty-nine, and therefore "too young", that is not illegal. But if it because
he or she is forty and "too old", that is illegal.

http://www.discriminationattorney.com/age.html

You can dig deeper at:

http://www.hr-guide.com/data/073.htm

And for the, uhhh, horse's mouth, see:

http://www.dol.gov/oasam/regs/statutes/age_act.htm

Is it too quaint to prefer a "good" applicant rather than a specific "age"
applicant?

Ed

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com         WB6WSN
NARTE Certified EMC Engineer & Technician
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Systems
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780  (Voice)
858-505-1583  (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty