Hi Ted:

I believe the symbol is a trademark, not unlike
the ANSI trademark.

Or the UL trademark.

The UL Listing (certification) mark includes the
UL trademark as one of its four components.  Be
careful that the UL trademark alone is NOT UL's
certification mark.

Wikipedia says:

A trademark is a distinctive sign or indicator of some kind which is used by
an individual, business organization or other legal entity to uniquely
identify the source of its products and/or services to consumers, and to
distinguish its products or services from those of other entities. A
trademark is a type of intellectual property, and typically comprises a
name, word, phrase, logo, symbol, design, image, or a combination of these
elements.

Rich

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net