From:   "ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen" <g.grem...@cetest.nl>
To:     EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Date:   08/10/2010 12:51 PM
Subject:        Re: [PSES] Calibration supplier for signal generator with pulse
modulation

________________________________

>>I seem to recall that the military wants to see ambient scans with at
>>least 6dB under any limit. Kind of a inside out measurement
>>uncertainty?.

>Yes, it's a sort of insurance against a 6 dB favourable error. But the
>point is that it's FAR easier to cope with in practice, and it may well
>give a more dependable assurance of compliance than a complex
>uncertainty assessment.

Well you can call this a 6dB trick but in fact is the implementation
into the daily use of MU. Just that it has been calculated by
someone else, and assumed to be true for every test set up.

MU is not difficult, the calculations do not involve more then:

1.  characterization of the fault contributor, result into division factor
2.  square the obtained value
3.  do this for all contributions
4.  add up all factors
5.  take the root and multiply by 2 = total expanded uncertainty

That’s all there is. The tricky part is the characterization in type of error.
Google for probability distribution and type A or type B uncertainty if you
want to learn.

Gert Gremmen
ce-testm qualified testing

This email has been scanned for SPAM content and Viruses by the MessageLabs
Email Security System.

<emc-p...@ieee.org <mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org> >

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at
http://www.ieeecommunities.org/emc-pstc
<http://www.ieeecommunities.org/emc-pstc>

Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/ <http://www.ieee-pses.org/>
<http://listserv.ieee.org/request/user-guide.html>
List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html
<http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html>

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com <mailto:emcp...@socal.rr.com> >
Mike Cantwell <mcantw...@ieee.org <mailto:mcantw...@ieee.org> >

For policy questions, send mail to:
Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org <mailto:j.bac...@ieee.org> >
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com <mailto:dhe...@gmail.com> >

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>