Testing and meeting essential requirements. – indeed an interesting
combination.

A man goes to a doctor and asks how he can meet his bodies directive that it
receives essential nourishment without using his stomach because his stomach
‘changes’, gives him gas and gets upset too often.  The doctor says, well, the
body never said you had to eat in order to meet its requirement of essential
nourishment.  You can choose another method if you want it is just simpler to
eat than to take another route.

It is true that the EMC directive does not require testing.  But then one does
not test to the directive, one tests to show compliance to a standard which is
used to show a device meets the essential requirements of the directive.  So,
because a mfg used standards to show they meet essential requirements, when
those standards that are not mandatory change, does one need to retest?

There are two issues really, the first is how a party responsible shows they
continue to meet the essential requirements of the directive. Second, if the
path used to show meeting the essential requirements has changed (i.e. use of a
standard), what are the requirements to show continued compliance to those
changes?  Remember, it is no longer simply the essential requirements of the
directive that needs to be met, but showing how the path chosen is still
sufficient to meet those essential requriements.

The first is always a requirement and meeting essential requirements is not
optional.

The second, how that is done, is optional and can and does change.  While
testing is not required to be used to show meeting essential requirements of
the directive, if the party responsible chose and is still using the standards
methods to show how they meet the essential requirements, then it is the
standard that dictates if testing is or is not (dare I use the word) required.
If you do not want to test, then don’t use a test standard. But the options are
far more complicated.

Generally one of the statements in any standard is something akin to “THE
EQUIPMENT SHALL BE TESTED…….”  So, if the party responsible is going to
continue to use the standards route to show how their device meets the
directive, then when a standard changes they must do as the standard says and
test in order show how the results in accordance with the most recent standards
still meets the essential requirements.  If nothing in the standard changed the
way a previous test was or was not applied, then no new testing would be
required.  If however the standard did change in an area that affected test or
test limits, then in order to still show how it meets the essential
requirements of the directive, retesting would be required.  Again, remember
that it is not a requirement of the directive, but it is a requirement of the
path chosen to use to meet the essential requirements of that directive; and,
if you do not test, then you are no longer using the standard as the method to
show meeting essential requirements and you must choose another path in order
to do that.

More simply put, if the party responsible wishes to continue to use a standard
to show meeting essential requirements, then when testing or retesting is
required, that is what they must do.  If they no longer wish to test to a
standard to show meeting the directive requirements, they will still  be
required to show, aside from testing, how the device continues to meet the
essential requirements.

thanks

Dennis Ward

Senior Certification Engineer

PCTEST

This communication and its attachments contain information from PCTEST
Engineering Laboratory, Inc., and is intended for the exclusive use of the
recipient (s) named above. It may contain information that is confidential
and/or legally privileged. Any unauthorized use that may compromise that
confidentiality via distribution or disclosure is prohibited. Please notify the
sender immediately if you receive this communication in error, and delete it
from your computer system.  Usage of PCTEST email addresses for non-business
related activities is strictly prohibited. No warranty is made that the e-mail
or attachment(s) are free from computer virus or other defect.  Thank you.