Hi Rick,

I work in the office that administer's OSHA's NRTL Program, so my answer
will be focused exclusively on product safety of equipment intended for use
in a U.S. workplace.

OSHA only has regulatory authority over employers, so from OSHA's
perspective, you as an equipment manufacturer have no legal requirement to
have your equipment tested or certified.  The employer (your customers)
have the legal requirement to demonstrate to OSHA that the equipment is
"Acceptable" as defined in 29 CFR 1910.399
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2014-title29-vol5/pdf/CFR-2014-title29-vol5-sec1910-399.pdf
which reads:

Acceptable. An installation or equipment is acceptable to the Assistant
Secretary of Labor, and approved within the meaning of this subpart S:
(1) If it is accepted, or certified, or listed, or labeled, or otherwise
determined to be safe by a nationally recognized testing laboratory
recognized pursuant to ยง1910.7; or
(2) With respect to an installation or equipment of a kind that no
nationally recognized testing laboratory accepts, certifies, lists, labels,
or determines to be safe, if it is inspected or tested by
another Federal agency, or by a State, municipal, or other local authority
responsible for enforcing occupational safety provisions of the National
Electrical Code, and found in compliance
with the provisions of the National Electrical Code as applied in this
subpart;
or
(3) With respect to custom-made equipment or related installations that are
designed, fabricated for, and intended for use by a particular customer, if
it is determined to be safe for its intended use by its manufacturer on the
basis of test data which the employer keeps and makes available for
inspection to the Assistant Secretary and his authorized representatives.

However, as you are likely aware, most manufacturers take on the burden of
having their products certified to minimize liability, to minimize problems
with local inspectors, and as a selling point to their clients.

One of a kind equipment would fall under item 3 above.  To be "acceptable"
(to OSHA), you as the manufacturer must evaluate and test the equipment and
provide the data to your customer so they can provide it to OSHA if asked.
While there has been no official interpretation, the general feeling within
OSHA is if you make 1 product, you are fine with option 3 above.  If you
make 2, you now must comply with option 1 above (certified by an NRTL).

Of course, the requirements imposed by a local AHJ may be different, and my

If you have nay further questions, feel free to contact me at my OSHA
account:

Kevin Robinson
OSHA NRTL Program
robinson.ke...@dol.gov