From: Pete Perkins [mailto:00000061f3f32d0c-dmarc-requ...@ieee.org]
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2014 1:27 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] Certification of Unique Equipment

Rick, et al,

                You have produced an itch that has already provided some good
comments regarding how to handle them.  Here's a little more info based upon my
experience.

                The US rules are quite clear and well described by Kevin
Robinson; the US enforcement is the key issue and depends quite heavily upon
whether or not your customer gets a permit for electrical changes that might be
needed to install your equipment in that location.  If the formal permit
process  is invoked then the AHJ electrical inspector will be looking at your
equipment to see if it is 'listed & labeled' before accepting it as part of the
installation.  This 'small detail' catches up quite a few installation
projects; it's quite frustrating to have to deal with all of this long after
the equipment has been shipped away.

                A common solution is to get an acceptable NRTL or
state(-by-state) approved lab to do a Field Inspection and label the product as
being acceptable under the NEC.  This activity transfers the equipment
inspection away from the AHJ inspector to another body which claims to have
more experience in determining adequacy of equipment.  This Field Inspection &
Labelling can only be done at the installation site.

                A common requirement is to evaluate the equipment to NFPA 79,
Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery; this standard is harmonized with
EN 60204, Electrical Safety of Machines.  The difference in the Euro and the NA
practices need to be understood to properly apply the requirements for each
respective market.   It is possible, working the a Field Labeling supplier who
has National (or international) offices to get them to do a preliminary
inspection at the factory to ensure that there are no outstanding issues that
will 'bite you' during the installation on-site inspection and labeling (the
preliminary results/report are shared with the person doing the final
inspection to smooth the path).  The technical report developed (which
describes the machine and includes some test results) is provided to the local
AHJ inspector as proof of conformance to the needed requirements.

                Finally, this Field Labeling only applies to that one
particular machine and the process will have to be repeated for any other
similar unique machines.

                Hopefully the unique equipment customer knows ahead of time
that the installation will be AHJ inspected and will let the unique equipment
supplier know up-front that the equipment will be subjected to inspection and
that a proper NEC certification will be required.

                In the same way that it is quite a bit of work to CE mark one
unique machine, this is a similar process.  If this needed certification comes
up after the fact at the point of installation there is a lot of unhappiness on
both sides; the customer is chagrined in having the installation stalled while
these details are being straightened out and the manufacturer is unhappy to
have to spend the additional, unplanned $$$ to get this certification done
before being paid for the fine work to provide this unique capability to this
customer.

                I'd be surprised if most equipment manufacturers don't get
caught up in this problem from time to time.

                To insure adequacy of the equipment that your company buys the
purchasing process should include wording in the procurement specification that
the equipment must be properly Listed and Labelled as compliant with the NEC
requirements.

                Hopefully this provides some detail that will be helpful as the
cases arise.

:>)     br,     Pete

Peter E Perkins, PE
Principal Product Safety Engineer