Good Morning,

What do you use for criteria when reviewing the intended environment in which a
device will be placed to determine if it is industrial or non-industrial? I
have seen and read varying opinions on what criteria to use.

It ranges from a transformer isolated factory to the nature of the other
products in the immediate vicinity (a mechanical room in a grocery store =
industrial due to the equipment in its immediate environment).

I am familiar with some of the definitions in places, but am not so sure that
those are what are typically followed in practice.

I appreciate any thoughts.

Thank you.

Attachments are not permitted but the IEEE PSES Online Communities site at can be used for graphics (in well-used
formats), large files, etc.

Instructions: (including how to unsubscribe)
List rules:

Scott Douglas <>
Mike Cantwell <>

For policy questions, send mail to: