Dave Engvall schrieb:
> Really tool length is just part of the problem. A tool number is
> associated with both a tool length and
> a tool diameter which may or may not be nominal.

Right, but a tools diameter doesn't change, no matter what you do while
you insert it. However, it's "felt" length might change if you don't
insert it to the same depth each time.

Though I could imagine a machine setup where even the tool diameter
could be measured: Just first measure the length, then move the tip
horizontally against a second switch. If you already measured another
tool, you can take the horizontal difference between the two moves to
detect the tools radius relative to the first tool.

Regards,
Sven