Hi Chris,

You are quite correct in assuming I have a series of tool holders;
however I do a lot of one-off stuff
in which the tooling outruns the number of tool holders I have.
With the right probe and program we ought to be able to gage  both
length and diameter
in a manner analogous to the laser setups that measure both length
and diameter. Gaging
the diameter is going to be the most difficult.
After that as someone on this list once said: "it is simply a matter
of software".

Dave