Hi Chris, others.

Really tool length is just part of the problem. A tool number is
associated with both a tool length and
a tool diameter which may or may not be nominal.
So far I just grit my teeth and work thru the process. I have
considered (briefly) a procedure to normalize
  the measured lengths against the reference tool and write that
to the tool table.

Dave