On Tuesday 29 April 2008, Andrew Ayre wrote:
>Wow - 8255s - I didn't know those were still used for commercial products.

Small correction, 82C55's, the cmos versions, so the board doesn't draw much
more power than is consumed by any outputs being pulled high.  Each line is
limited to about a 2 mill load, but can pull rail to rail both directions.  I
had some of them once, sent them someplace that was gonna write a linux
driver.  I tried to write one myself, and found I knew very little about 'PC'
architecture.  The card contains no bios AFAIK, so its invisible to an lspci
listing.

Once a linux driver is available, I think they would make a very nice
interface for emc's use.  With all 24 lines available on each chip, the i/o
expansion possibilities sure beat the usual parport, an architecture
originally built from the 8255 decades ago.  IIRC the actual cabling from
each chip was on a 34 pin floppy drive sized cable, so each card gave you 3,
34 pin ribbon cables out of a spare slot opening in the back of the case.

One thing I ran into was that while that web site below shows prices in USD,
they billed my card in AUD and applied the exchange rate, so I paid about a
20% premium over the quoted price.  Quite close to a big buck each at the
time, which was about 4, maybe 5 years ago now.

I also bought a few of stepper controllers based on the L298 they have, touch
them only with a very long pole, there is no current chopper available for
current regulation.

>Andy
>
>Dave Keeton wrote:
>> This board looks good! I did just buy a new NI DIO 96 board off of EBAY
>> for 50 bucks....If it does'nt work out I'll check it out. I guess i was
>> completely wrong about the I/O situation. You all have been a big
>> help....How do I go about setting up the drivers for these boards in EMC?
>> I am not all that familiar with Linux....
>>
>> Dave

>>> 79$ US
>>> 72 i/o points
>>> pci
>>> emc2 driver is available, "sorta beta"
>>> regards
>>> TomP

Cheers, Gene
Never have children, only grandchildren.
                -- Gore Vidal